Image Courtesy National Institute of Health
What is Pink Eye?
The term “pink eye” is a general term used by patients when they suspect an infection due to an increase in redness producing a pink discoloration of the eyes. This discoloration can go hand in hand with several other symptoms that include:
- Stringy mucous discharge
- Eyelids stuck together
- Light sensitivity
- Pain & discomfort
- Feeling like something is stuck in the eye
- Coughing, Sneezing, and Sinus Congestion
Common Causes of Pink Eye in New Mexico
The following are different reasons why you may have “Pink Eye”
- Viral Conjunctivitis – often the most common cause of pink eye is a viral infection. This type of infection can spread from person to person very easily. Extreme hygiene practices must take place to prevent the spread. This includes frequent hand washing, staying home from school or work, and sleeping separately from spouses. This can be caused by contact with someone else with a viral infection or may be caused by a sinus infection that has spread to the eyes. Depending on the aggression of the infection, the symptoms may last as long as 3 weeks. We recommend making an appointment for treatment as soon as you suspect you have a viral infection.
- Bacterial Infection – Bacterial infections are a serious cause of pink eye. Bacterial infections can come from a recent sinus or ear infection that has moved to the eyes. Unlike viral infections, bacterial infections can be treated with oral or topical antibiotics. Due to the possibility of spreading the infection to other organs, we recommend making an appointment for treatment as soon as you suspect you have a bacterial infection.
- Allergies & Dry Eye – a pink eye is not always a sign of an infection. Often times dryness of the eyes or irritation from different plant species may cause the eyes to discolor.
Treatments for Pink Eye
Treatments for pink eye depend on if you have an infection, what type of infection, and how long you’ve had the symptoms. City of Vision Eye Care is able to prescribe antibiotics and perform in-office treatments for various causes of pink eye should you require urgent care services.
Make an Appointment with us for a Pink Eye Consultation
Please fill out the below form. We will get back to you typically within one business day.